My mobile number or alternate email has changed, how do I update this information for UTORid Account Recovery Service?

Published on: September 11, 2015

Users may update their alternate email or mobile (SMS) number anytime by following the following steps:

  1. Go to the UTORid Account Recovery Service
  2. Input your UTORid and password
  3. Click “Authenticate”
  4. Update the information available under the Manage Your Account section
  5. Review your Account Recovery Options and change if desired
  6. Click “Update”

Help Desk Article: Change Your Options for Password Reset Tool